Saturday, October 10, 2015

Anne Maddox Blog #2 "Why Not? What Works?"



     We all know that reading promotes higher test scores and increased knowledge across the board.  I also knew about students who read the most score well, but not the % given.  Wow! 98% proficient! Also the converse is true.  Getting lower kids to read at home is a task, and we all strive to ignite the fire in them for reading.  To see it in black and white that they are the ones who score in the 2% is especially heart wrenching.
     Some of the things that the text enlightened for my present practices, was to raise the higher number in ZPD in AR. The text enlightened me that kids may actually do better if they choose harder texts.   And they take ownership when they get to choose the books read.  With Maggie, JoAnn, and tutors pulling kids, I can have more time to help in selecting books, have smaller reading groups, and even a one child reading group. My students presently keep a notebook on unknown words where we talk about the meanings where they come to a better understanding of the text.

1 comment:

  1. Anne,
    I think your idea about keeping a notebook for unknown words is a great idea! I remember a teacher told us to keep a dictionary and hi-light the words we didn't know when we came across them in our reading. I thought it was weird at the time, but now I see the difference she was trying to make.

    ReplyDelete