Tuesday, October 27, 2015

L Ebron- Ch. 3 Routman

Share your reading life? I don't read; not for pleasure, anyway. I used to read all the time when I was younger. I was that kid that looked forward to Saturday trips to the library. Now I'm trying to remember when that all came to an end. Nowadays, I only read in order to learn something. Not exactly what I would call pleasurable. I'm either reading financial books or Facebook. But wait, I do read at least two books to my toddler each night.

So, I guess I'll have to "fake it til I make it" in order to teach my students the joys of reading. I'm sure they don't want to hear about the financial things I'm reading now. I've started by discussing with my students why reading is important. This led to teaching my students what "Read to Self" looks like. We've been practicing reading words and pictures, handling books properly (I've had to repair many books), and reading the whole time.

At the top of my to do list are:
-incorporate the Daily 5
-author/book studies
- write your own book

1 comment:

  1. It is great that you are teaching your students what good readers do by giving them opportunity to build stamina and practice the strategies that you are teaching. You probably read more than you realize, and even sharing with your students that you are reading non-fiction to learn more about a certain subject will help them see that reading is important to you on some level.

    I would love to help you get Daily 5 started! It was the model I studied when I was ready to start a Reading Workshop. Let me know how I can help you! :)

    ReplyDelete