Friday, October 9, 2015

Kim Bresette - Chapter 4 - Teach With a Sense of Urgency

Why wouldn't a teacher want to make every moment in the classroom count, ensuring that instruction engages and moves students ahead? I agree this should be the motivating factor for every teacher, however, the way this comes about in each classroom looks different.  I respect the comment from the author that states that if we don't know to teach reading and move students forward, we must take responsibility for learning how. (p. 42) I find it interesting that as educators, we expect our students to take ownership of their learning and if they don't understand, they should ask questions or search for other ways to gain understanding.  How easily we forget as classroom leaders, the same is expected from us.  The Optimal Learning Model explained in the chapter provides a framework for a better way of teaching reading and really is applicable across the curriculum.  By basing instruction on what kids need rather than on the components of a literacy program, it is easy to see why students could make more progress.

I also found the first bullet point in the list of the things that are implicit to this model, something that would seem to be an understood - students must have bonded with their teacher.  I think this aspect of education is often overlooked.  I feel this is vital to any student success.  So many of our students come from a home where life is unpredictable and inconsistent, and to have them same fluctuating environment where they are expected to learn, they may not feel safe, and therefore learning is impeded greatly.  By having a relationship of trust and predictability,  the rest of the model can begin to take shape and optimal learning can take place.

1 comment:

  1. I loved your point about teachers expecting students to take ownership of their own learning but not being willing to do that themselves. I am sure that we have all been guilty of that at one time or another. I started comparing my life as a professional to my life as a Christian this weekend. I get so frustrated when God wants to show me something new in my life that needs attention. Sometimes I just need Him to give me a break. :) Then, I thought . . . that's how teachers are feeling. But, the truth is, if we want to grow in ANY area of our lives, we have to be willing to learn and listen and apply what is being taught. And, in truth, this is true for most professions. If we want to excel at what we do, we are going to have to take ownership of our learning.

    ReplyDelete