Thursday, October 29, 2015

JoAnn James
Section 3 An Instructional Framework for Supporting Classroom Independent Reading

I LOVE this section.  If a teacher was just lost and did not know how to set up IR in their classroom this is the section for them!  The section is set up with tactics each tactic giving  steps to the goal of supported IR.  I think this is so helpful to a teacher who is just trying out IR.  Tactic 4 & 5 are the meat of this section.  These tactics help guide teachers to the best way to conference and create accountability.  To me that is the basis of conferencing, making sure students are accountable for what they are reading.  If a teacher wants to differentiate instruction the easiest way, that was pointed out in this section, is to conference and determine what each students needs.  I love the guidelines for monitoring IR.  What do we pay attention to, so we can use this information to differentiate wisely.  I love everything about all of this.  My favorite section so far.  Extremely useful.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you've already read this! We're going to discuss the tactics on Monday during our R2S class! :) I agree that these are great guidelines to help us with conferencing and monitoring students as readers. The only way to know our students is to spend time with them one-on-one. Having a purpose and making that time useful will only move students further faster.

    ReplyDelete