Friday, October 23, 2015

Christie Summers Blog 1 "Not This"

  First, I want to say that I am a "fan" of Debbie Miller. So, I was excited to read this selection. In true Debbie Miller style, her professional ideas and techniques are clear and concise. She said that children need to practice reading in order to become better readers. Well, of course! However, is it really that simple?
  As a teacher, I need to give my students adequate time to practice their reading skills. Sounds easy enough, right? Oh, how I wish! If I could, I would spend every minute of my classroom time teaching reading, having the children read, and guiding them through the process. However, time is not on my side in the classroom. I must navigate through the other subjects I am required to teach. I have to feed the  babies. I have to send them off to PE, Music, Library, Art, and Computer. I send them outside for a much needed break to run, romp, and yell at the top of their lungs. There goes the day in kindergarten.
  I do agree with Miller that we can "find" the time to incorporate independent reading. The problem is what can we "legally" leave out or swap for this valuable spot of time? I do not agree that calendar time should be omitted in the early grades. In kindergarten, calendar time is not just calendar. We teach a ton of math lessons during this time. So, as an old school kindergarten teacher, I just can't let go of my calendar time. Thank goodness for recess time. Children need to be free to play, even if it is for just twenty minutes. So, what can I do?
  My first thought is independent reading can be done during the morning in place of morning work. My children enter the classroom, unpack, and either begin morning work or go to a center. I can swap my usual morning assignment for independent reading. This may be a good time for the children to keep calm. Five year olds do not usually remain calm after entering the room! Independent reading just might help with that. So, let's give it a go!

1 comment:

  1. Good idea, Christie! Even if you just start with a few minutes, giving them an opportunity to read independently each day will grow the habit and enjoyment of reading. As the weeks go on, students will build stamina and you can begin adding more minutes to your IR time each day.

    You could even give them an opportunity to share what they are reading with a friend or with the whole class. This will encourage those who are struggling or build excitement about certain books or authors. I look forward to hearing how this practice changes your students as readers! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete