Friday, October 9, 2015

Kelli Wolfe Blog Post #3: The Pleasure Factor



There was so much to love about Routman’s Reading Essentials Chapter 3, ”Share Your Reading Life.”  I admire her passion and commitment to spreading the love!  The “Teacher Tips” and “Try It Apply It” sections are very practical and have ideas that are easy to apply immediately in the classroom.  I totally agree that keeping reading logs is important BUT we shouldn’t require parents to sign them.  (Some teachers even take grades on the parent signature!  Oh my word!  Stop it!)  I love the idea of making a genre anchor chart and adding to it throughout the year.  Lots and lots to love about this chapter.  

Now. . . I’m stepping onto my soap box.  On p. 24, Routman said, “While it is true that we want our students to be able to read and comprehend well in all curriculum areas, including required high-stakes tests, let’s not lose sight of the fact that if they don’t read for pleasure they are not likely to make reading a lifelong habit or goal.”  Truth.  However, I believe that without realizing it . . . and in attempt to create accountability, etc. . . . many reading requirements are stealing the love of reading from children.

As a mother, I watched my middle child’s attitude toward reading change from pleasure to chore as he entered school.  When he was a child, we read books regularly and he loved it!  Many times he would bring books to me that he wanted us to read together.  We visited the library and had a special place in our home where we put books and read them together.  As he entered school and began reading on his own, I was able to help him find books he loved to read and he continued to inhale them.  HOWEVER, it wasn’t long before his teachers began to encourage him to take AR tests.  I noticed many changes in his reading patterns.  He associated reading books with having to record everything . . . then having to take a test on it . . . it became a grade in the grade book . . . a party vs. not a party . . . etc. etc. etc.  Very quickly reading became a discouragement for him and he didn’t love it any more.  Today he very seldom reads for pleasure.  It makes me very sad, and I would bet my bottom dollar that there are many other children who have the same story.  Although I agree that keeping a record of their reading is important, I hate that it can become such a chore.  Although I truly believe comprehension is important . . . is knowing what color dress the girl was wearing REALLY making meaning?  I don’t think so.  

In my classroom, I gave students a choice in how they responded to what they read.  Some students chose to take an AR test, some students chose to respond in writing, some students created a poster or a tableau.  AND, they didn’t have to do this for EVERY book they read.  I felt like this gave students more options and more opportunities to feel success and enjoyment in reading.  The pleasure factor remained and I saw a lot of growth . . . not only in reading levels, but also in personal confidence. 

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading this post, Kelli! Yes--I do feel that sometimes we lose sight of the forest (raising life-long readers) for the trees (scores on high-stakes assessments that will not matter at all outside of school!)...

    ReplyDelete