Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Karen James Section # 1 Is There Enough Time

I have always said that reading should be practiced much like math facts.  Students learn math facts by constantly reviewing them through fast facts and math problems they encounter in the classroom.  Reading should be similar.  Students should have the opportunity to read a book of their choosing to "practice" the strategies(facts) they have learned in class.  Just as students' confidence grows as they learn their math facts with accuracy and speed, that same confidence can grow as students have time to improve their reading accuracy and speed. 


Reading Workshop is a great way to organize a classroom that allows for independent reading.  Teachers can  model good reading strategies and allow students time to use the strategy.  While all this is going on, teachers can get to know their students as readers through conferencing.  Providing students with the time to read shows them the value of reading under the guidance of the teacher. 


When I first began using Reading Workshop, I too thought where am I going to find time.  It is difficult and some days RW doesn't always work like it does in books.  I try to start RW the second nine weeks because it does take time to get to know your students and there are state and district requirements that have to be met.  Once procedures are in place and students begin this process it does work and I have seen reading confidence and levels grow.  I do think teachers want to use this model but struggle with the demands of high stake testing preparation for their students and time is an issue. 

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you came to District 6, Karen! We can use more teachers with Reading Workshop knowledge and experience to encourage the others.

    I know time is always a struggle, but I can honestly say that when I used a Reading Workshop model, I felt like I got more accomplished in a day. The key is getting it organized and building student cooperation. That definitely takes time. I usually did very little conferencing and guided reading during the first few days. We would do mini-lessons on expectations and practice each area of Reading Workshop before we began. However, the investment is worth it.

    I am excited to hear how it is coming along in your classroom. Let me know if I can pull any resources for you or can in any way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You recognize a lot of the valid challenges of time and high stakes testing, but you share some neat ideas for working around them. If you believe in it (which I know you do!), you will find a way (which I know you do too)! :-)

    ReplyDelete