Friday, October 16, 2015

Maggie Delaney October Blog 3

In Routman's third chapter, "Share Your Reading Life", the need for teachers to share their personal reading story is emphasized.  It is our job as a teacher to instill a LOVE of reading in our students.  Of course we want them to know how to read so they can learn (standards, testing, etc.) but I agree that developing a lifelong habit of reading for pleasure is the top priority.  And don't you learn more when you CHOOSE to read rather than being FORCED to read?

I have always enjoyed my current role in the educational world.  Being a "reading interventionist" not only allows me to work with below grade level students and teach them strategies and skills needed to improve their reading (especially their comprehension), but I am so fortunate in that I don't have to worry as much about "am I teaching the standards".  In other words, I feel like I am able to instill that love of reading.  We don't do AR in my room.  We don't look at levels or dots in my room.  We don't take "tests" in my room.  I don't tell kids what they will read in my room.  There is freedom to chose ANY book you want to read in my room.  What we do do in my room is READ!  (By the way, there is accountability...I do give grades on their responses to their reading).  And you know what?  My students LOVE it!!  They are always begging to stay longer just so we can read MORE!!  We just read to read!

This chapter did give me several great ideas of ways to share my reading life with my students.  So many of our students are not surrounded by books or readers.  I think sometimes we forget to maybe show/explain the obvious.  I will definitely be bringing in my stack of books on my nightstand and sharing with my kids why I read what I read!!!

2 comments:

  1. I really believe your own passion and excitement for reading is what draws students in! What a great atmosphere for a student to be in! .... choice? .... no AR tests? .... comfortable place to just sit and read? I can see why students love to be in your room. I also really believe it can be that way in every classroom. If teachers tried it, I think they would be surprised at how much students can grow as readers WITHOUT all the do's and don'ts. It would be interesting to do a schoolwide "experiment" and see what happens! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you are doing a marvelous job of growing readers who love to read, and sharing your reading life will hook them even more! I liked your point about holding readers accountable--there are many ways to do this!

    ReplyDelete