Friday, October 9, 2015

JoAnn James Blog #2 No More Independent Reading Without Support - section 2

In section two of the book No More Independent Reading Without Support the authors explains how student achievement is connected to IR.  IR if done with support IR can raise achievement scores of readers of all levels.  I think the most important part of this section is the chart on page 12 that explains that IR can improve achievement if it is done correctly.  Teachers need to scaffold IR by modeling, conferring, monitoring and making students accountable for their reading.  IR alone will not help a student it needs to be connected with the teacher scaffold.  The chart of page 14 explains how to do this.  I love this chart.  So very helpful for teachers just starting on the IR journey.   Furthermore this section had excellent suggestions  about how to teach students in explicit ways to choose the "Just Right" books, how to guide students to talk about what they read, and how important it is to monitor and assess during IR.

2 comments:

  1. Joann,

    I loved this chart as well as the suggestions for how to choose "Just Right" books. I think so many times we assume our kids really know how to find the right books when they are truly struggling. I can't wait to hear how we grow as a school by teaching our kids these strategies and how their IR time improves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am doing a mini-lesson in a classroom this morning about choosing just-right books. For many years, I think we really did just assume students knew how to logically pick out a book that was right for them. When I first heard about TEACHING them to pick a book that is right for them, I thought, 'why didn't I think of that?' It makes SO MUCH SENSE! So much of what we expect of kids can be taught with a simple, short mini-lesson. These lessons are part of our "teacher support." It is part of the scaffolding. It has to make a difference in reading confidence. Alexis, I too am looking forward to seeing how students grow this year as a result of teacher conference and IR.

    ReplyDelete