Monday, October 26, 2015

Melissa Parris...Routman, Chapter 3: Share Your Reading Life

I agree that teachers have a responsibility to share their reading lives with their students.  I think it is difficult for a teacher to share a lot about her reading life with very young readers.  I do tell my students that one of my favorite things to do on weekends, holidays, and in the summer is to read.  They know that I have a "Books I Want to Read" list.  I love to talk to my students about my favorite children's books and I think they can relate better to these conversations.  I know that sharing my enthusiasm for Junie B. Jones books has creates a mad dash for those books in our school library and the county library.  I can also create demand for Pete the Cat, Curious George, and Franklin books simply by telling students how much I enjoy them. I think it would be tremendous fun to have a book club for young students at WHES...and maybe someday when I have less on my plate, I will try it.  

I know that I need to improve on sharing the types of reading I do with my students.  They really only know of the reading I do for fun, but I do reading for this class, for church, for Bible study.  I also read the paper, magazines, blogs and social media.  This is the area I will make a concerted effort to improve.

3 comments:

  1. Melissa, I think we need to make the book club happen! We could do it in the library, maybe group together the Pete the Cat groupies, the Franklin fanatics, and the Fancy Nancy gang. Discussing the character motivation of Curious George...why so impulsive? Will he ever cease being Curious? What drives him? Adding this to my plans for second semester...first grade book club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does seem kind of silly to point out to very young students that we, as teachers, read too. However, I agree that it can make a positive impression. They love you guys and want to be just like you. You might not want to tell them all about Nicholas Spark's new book. :) But, knowing you take time out of your day to read for enjoyment will encourage them to do the same.

    I agree with Elizabeth, Melissa! Let's make a book club happen! Let me know what I can do!

    ReplyDelete