Friday, October 23, 2015

Detra Stevens Blog #3 Share your Reading Life

I have never thought about presenting myself to the class as a reader.  I talk about how reading is important, but I have never expressed my joy for reading to my class. 

I feel I demonstrate and model but I don’t share why I read personally or even my personal reading habits.  I think I am going to share this with my class.  I feel if they see my enthusiasm as a reader, just maybe more of my students will feel the power of reading.

Routman talks about how book clubs work.  I really enjoyed this section. I am going to try this with my students.  Allowing them time to talk to peers about the book they enjoyed the most may get them more excited about reading.  Routman states that a peer’s enthusiasm for a book will do more to entice a student reader than anything else.  I am also excited about trying the idea a kindergarten teacher, Karen Sher, does in her class.  Instead of bringing in an object to share, students bring in a book to share with the class.

Routman says to think about what gives you pleasure as a reader and bring it into the classroom.  This is something I can definitely do with no problem.  I can’t wait to put into play more of the strategies mentioned in this chapter that I am not already doing.

2 comments:

  1. It's true - I usually choose a book to read upon the recommendation of a friend or a family member. I also use goodreads.com to check out reviews or see what other people with my same "book taste" are reading. I think a lot of times we don't apply these kinds of ideas to Kindergarten . . . but it makes total sense! I look forward to hearing/watching how they persuade each other as readers!

    ReplyDelete