Friday, October 23, 2015

Christie Summers Blog 3 "Reading LIfe"

  It just makes sense as a teacher to express the love of reading to our students. We are the models for what we are teaching. Being an active reader and sharing the joys of reading is a wonderful hook. It shows the students that we are more than just the teacher. It shows that we are people outside of school with interests. The interest of reading is a valuable teaching tool.
  Outwardly expressing ourselves as lovers of reading will motivate our students to become fans of reading too. I like the idea of talking to the students about having a personal space for books. This helps give the students ownership and control of being a reader. Sharing what we are reading, when appropriate, is a good idea. It tells the students that reading is a gift to be shared. When we enjoy something, we naturally want to tell others. Students telling others about a book demonstrates a love of reading.
  Some children may not know how to choose a book. I think that as a teacher, if I share with them how I choose books, they will have a real life guide. I can tell the students that I first look at the cover and if it gets my attention, I open the book up. They will be sure to study the cover of a book instead of passing it by. I can tell the children that my favorite genre is mysteries. I am willing to be they will seek out a mystery book. We are book talkers for our students. I think this is a great way to put them on the path to reading.

1 comment:

  1. Book talk is always a good idea! I love your willingness to share your own reading life with your students! They look up to us and if they see that WE read for pleasure, they will be more willing to read for pleasure.

    I agree that encouraging them to create a special place for books and for reading is a good idea. It will show them how important reading is. Many of our students don't come from homes where there are readers or where they are read to. This is one idea for encouraging them to read independently at home, too. :)

    ReplyDelete