Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Kelly Anderson Blog Post 3 Pervading Life

"Reading pervades my life and sustains me the same way friendship and love do. Reading gives me joy, comfort, perspective, new ideas, questions to ponder, and connections to others lives. I want nothing less for my students."

I read these few lines over and over again when I read this chapter. I have been so torn about my feelings for this book. (On a side note I can't determine if those feelings are because I am in a constant state of panic about my endless "To-Do:" list that Routman's text are on that never seems to get any shorter, or if it is because I don't like the feeling I'm left with when reading Routman's ideas about how to make time for independent reading even if it means sacrificing other valuable times of the day.) But when I read those lines the reader in me connected. I know that feeling when I sink into the hammock swing on a Saturday and I feel my soul become rejuvenated. I genuinely love to read and become invested in the lives of the characters I read about. I connect with them and become a part of their story, their story "pervades my life and sustains me the same way friendship and love do".  Don't get me wrong, the love I have for my husband and for my family is uncomparable, however I am all in when it comes to the books I read.

Independent reading in Kindergarten is so different from independent reading when I was in second grade. My students now tell me "I don't know how to read", and we start with the beginnings of reading - pictures. I model what good readers do and don't do, I show them my books and share the characters with them and the adventures they take me on (when appropriate of course). I see my students get excited, though that light quickly fizzles out when they are left on their own to make the investment in their story. However after we do our independent reading (we are working on our reading stamina...slow and steady wins the race ya' know) we have a share time at the end, and every single child wants to share. I see the investment they are making: the connections to the characters, the excitement in the adventures, the exploring they will do in the setting, and the emotion they will feel when they reach the end. Even in Kindergarten the texts they read are pervading their lives...not all texts, but we see the moments when they do and celebrate with them because we want nothing less.

2 comments:

  1. Kelly, you are giving students opportunities to fall in love with reading and I appreciate that! You are wise in allowing them to grow stamina a little at a time - and I love that you are giving them opportunities to share what they are reading. I know that sometimes it can feel like an uphill battle, but you are doing what is right for students. Thank you for being willing to give up precious time doing instruction to teach them the power and enjoyment of reading! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading pervades my life too--shocker, I know!! Yes, it is heartbreaking when the little ones come to us already thinking they "can't read." I think it is up to us to redefine reading for them--it is not about calling words on a page, but rather about getting lost in the pages and creating meaning in them!

    ReplyDelete