Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Karen James Section #2 Why Independent Reading Matters

I agree that students need IR time in the classroom and that is crucial to student improvement in reading. Allowing student to read a book of their choice provides balance in a "school world" of have to read text.  Most importantly giving students time to read fosters motivation to read outside the classroom.  Which for me is my number one goal as a teacher, to instill a love of reading that lasts long after students have left my class.  This summer I read the Book Whisperer and it was like a "ah ah" moment.  What do "real" people do as readers?  They read books that they want to read.  I want my students to read because they can't wait to see what happens next and to use a new strategy we discussed in class.  I want to be there if they get stuck or want to share.  The perfect reason to provide the IR time in the classroom.


During the IR times is a great way to interact with students through conferencing and small group instruction.  Teachers can pinpoint what students need as well as interact with them as readers.  Teacher can know that Johnny is only read realistic fiction and that he might also enjoy sci-fi.  Presenting students with different genres and defining them is great way to know the different types, but allowing students to then have class time to read a genre discussed promotes literacy.


Having access to many types of texts opens students to worlds they may never have known existed.  My favorite part of Woodland Heights is that kids can checkout 5 books each week and they are encouraged to get different genres.  Classroom libraries are just as important. They tell students that reading is valued in this room. 


As teachers we must cultivate a climate of readers through modeling what good readers do and providing students opportunity to interact with text.  I know for my students, my goal is for them to find the book that transports to a place that keeps them wanting more books.

2 comments:

  1. YES! I LOVE that you want students to read what they choose to read because they just can't get enough! I probably read books that aren't on my level . . . how about you? I agree that a balance is what we're going for. Kudos to Elizabeth for allowing students to check out lots of books at one time. She is definitely helping our school become a community of book lovers!

    I love your beliefs, Karen! Once again . . . so glad you're at WHES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you reference "The Book Whisperer"--such a great book! It took me a long time to realize it, but it is important to think about what "real readers" do--and to teach toward that!

    ReplyDelete