Thursday, October 29, 2015

Elizabeth Graham's Blog Post #3: Teach with a Sense of Urgency

In Chapter 4, "Teach with a Sense of Urgency", Routman provides practical ways to evaluate and reflect on our teaching practice in order to provide what our students need. This is something I relate to because I am always looking for ways to improve my lessons and instructions. The urgency comes in for me in that our students need to learn right now and we have to be on top of our game. If I don't know how to teach something, then I must take responsibility for learning how to do it. My students deserve this and, as Routman says, "Do not let your students down".

A practice I want to adopt is included with Interactive Reading tips. When doing a read aloud, I often ask questions as we read to allow students to make observations or to predict what might happen next. I will try Routman's idea to give students a partner share minute or two so that everyone gets a chance to voice their ideas not just one or two "stars" that always pop up with an answer. On reflection, this would increase student engagement and lend some interactivity to the lesson.

3 comments:

  1. Great idea, Elizabeth! Have you ever been in a class and had a great thought, but so many other people were raising their hands, you just held it in . . . and it was hard. LOL "Turning and talking" is a very effective way to give all students a voice. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you have tried it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, teaching with urgency is like a needs assessment--are we teaching toward what students really need, and if not, what can we streamline? Good luck trying the Interactive Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reporting back, Interactive Reading has gone well. Students love turning to a partner and "whisper sharing" their thoughts about what happens next or what they would do. My only issue is that then each group still wants to share with everyone and they don't accept that they have already "shared" by talking with a partner. I will keep working on this...

    ReplyDelete