Friday, October 23, 2015

Caroline Josey Post #1 Miller Chapter 1

“I hear you. If I had more minutes in the day, I really would give independent reading time a try. But my day is jam-packed as it is—I can’t imagine squeezing in one more thing” (Miller pg. 2).

I disagree with this quote. I think independent reading is an integral part of the day and I have no problem scheduling time for this to take place. I enjoy getting to know my students as readers and watching them learn and grow. They get so excited to read to me and they get even more excited to take AR tests and make 100’s. Miller says that we teach kids how to read and we show them best practices but we don’t give them enough time to use these learned skills. The first line in chapter 1 says “Children learn to read by reading… but not without instructional support.” I do find it difficult to provide individual instructional support for each student along with taking lunch count and attendance. I want my students to have the full effect of independent reading and am going to try my best to make it happen!


2 comments:

  1. I always appreciate your willingness to do what has to be done, Caroline! With the discipline problems in your room, Caroline, it is a little more difficult for you. I would really encourage you to create discipline procedures that help the students to be successful. Studies show that young people actually thrive when boundaries are set and communicated. It helps them feel safe and secure and sure of what will happen each day. Reiterate to them each day what you expect of them during IR and reward those who are follow directions. Before you know it, your IR time will run like a well-oiled machine. You will be able to effectively conference, and your students will continue to grow as readers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes--if you believe in it, you will find a way to make time for it! Is there another time you can do IR where you're not fighting for time with lunch count and other morning tasks?

    ReplyDelete