Saturday, October 17, 2015

Painter-Blog 3, Routman, Share Your Reading Life

Sharing what I am reading is something I have never really done with my students.  I hadn't really thought about it until I read this chapter.  However, I did try it by actually showing the students this particular book, a magazine, and several other genres that I've read lately.  I could tell that his was an eye opener for some.  We discussed the reasons that I read and made a chart of "Reader's read to...learn more words, for fun, learn facts, etc."  I liked forming this connection with them and letting them see that I do read too!

I have also already gone back and demonstrated with my students how to browse for books for their bags.  I do this at the beginning but I think a refresher was already needed.  We get into such a routine and assume the students are picking "just right" books but conferencing helped me to see that not all of my students were.

I want to try a reading record for my students to keep in their bag of books but want to come up with something simple enough that it doesn't take 10 (or more) of our 30 minutes of reading time to complete.  With some students, simply writing the title and genre could take that long.  

Routman suggests to "think about what brings you pleasure as a reader, and bring that into the classroom."  I think this can be such a powerful connection for my students to see examples of what I enjoy reading.  If I can find something that each child likes to read, he/she will be more successful at becoming a reader.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you made an anchor chart titled "Readers read to . . . " This could be something you add to all year long! Great idea! I also love that you are conferencing - and altering your instruction based on what you notice during instruction. You are right . . . many of the lessons we teach need to be retaught over and over. I love Stephanie Harvey's Comprehension Connection because it gives several different lesson plans for the SAME strategy. She obviously knows kids don't always get it the first time.

    I also loved to hear how your kids responded when you showed them what you are reading. I would love to have seen their response. :) Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great that you brought your own reading life in to share with your first graders, especially with the magazine genre! As for your thought about a reading record, have you thought about letting your kids take a picture of the book they just finished and posting it on a Padlet? No writing needed!

    ReplyDelete