Thursday, October 15, 2015

Kelly Schachner: Blog #3 Routman Chapter 3


     Sharing my reading life? As a teacher, I have never thought about sharing what I read with my students. I am not certain why this never crossed my mind. It seems logical, necessary, and sensible, but maybe not practical. (At least not what I read at times!) I enjoy reading Smithsonian Magazine, Good Housekeeping articles, and home decorating and design magazines. Not exactly "hot topics" for students of grade-school age. These articles are mainly "what to do" or "what not to do" informational passages. IF I choose to read, it is usually to learn more about something; anything.
      Reading for the pure joy of reading? I rarely partake in this. Maybe, occasionally, I might choose to read a children's book that I have never read, but that is really the only time I read for pleasure.  I have never been a "fluff" person and I think I view reading fiction as "fluff" reading. Also, because I am busy, I do not make the time to read something that is not going to make a difference in my life in some way. (Practical, huh?)
    When I hear folks discussing a great book, I sometimes get a bit envious. I have tried to read the same book, but I don't last long in a fictional world. Reality is where I seem to want to stay.
     I do not believe that this makes me a bad reading teacher. I can, and will, read most of the books in my classroom library. So, when my children want to discuss a book, I do have some knowledge of what they are reading. I do say things like, "Oh, I love that book. It was one of my favorites!" I will know just enough about most books that we can discuss the important elements.
    One thing I want to do is obtain more informational books for my classroom library so that I can turn them on to that type of reading and we can share what we learn together.


2 comments:

  1. Not everyone enjoys fiction. You shouldn't feel bad or envious about that. Although I love fiction, I know many people who do not. I think it is great that you read the books in your class, though. That is a huge undertaking, I am sure! I still think it is beneficial for kids to see what you're reading and hear you talk about it. I am like you, I didn't often talk about what I was reading outside of the classroom - unless I could use that knowledge somehow in my teaching - but, I wish I had taken more time to SHOW them what I read.

    The non-fiction books you would like are on their way! I can't wait for you guys to have more books to share with your students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, this is a beautiful post!! You know yourself well as a reader, and I think your students benefit from that!

    ReplyDelete