Monday, October 19, 2015

Rhonda Dickerson- Blog 3

Routman- Chapter 3- Share Your Reading Life

I love this chapter!  The author confirms many of my beliefs. I enjoy reading and want my students to enjoy reading and become life-long readers.  I want them to read for enjoyment and escape.  Yes, we have to read to learn, but we can also read for fun.  My students do keep reading logs (although not as detailed as the example in the chapter) so I can conference and discuss the books with them.  Sometimes they do need to be guided toward an appealing book or a just right book and the log helps me steer them in the right direction. 

 Each nine weeks I print out the Student Reading Record so each student can be reminded of all the wonderful books he/she has read.  They love to go to their personal bookshelf in AR and look at all the books they’ve read.  

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are teaching your students that reading can be fun and that you are learning more about your students by conferencing with them! I agree with you . . . sometimes reading logs can be cumbersome for young ones and trying to get everything recorded can waste precious time. I recently heard a coach from another school say that they keep a checklist in the younger grades. I thought that sounded like a great idea! I will see if I can get more information about that to pass along to you! I love the wall in your room that says, "10 Ways to Be Successful: Read Read Read Read Read Read Read Read Read Read." I couldn't have said it better myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad this chapter supported your beliefs! What new ideas/support for current practices did you find about sharing your reading life with your students?

    ReplyDelete